Sunday, February 8, 2009

Drinking Tea After A Long Week

The joint KCF/VCF retreat is now over, and I'm trying to catch my breath. It was a great time all around, and I must say it was one of the more enjoyable retreats I've been to because of the quality of students who went. I loved getting to know a bunch of new KCF faces and playing Dutch Blitz with familiar VCF faces - even though that game brings out new levels of frustration each time I play.

I was nervous going into the weekend about the teaching/sharing I was going to be doing on Friday and Saturday night. These were the second and third speaking gigs I've had in the last couple of months, and I'm still getting used to sharing in that setting. I think it went well though - and by that I mean I shared what was on my heart, and if it came out confusing or hard to follow, well, I'm trusting God let the parts that were supposed to stick stick.

Now, as I try to wind down in the limited amount of time I have before the busyness of the week starts tomorrow, I'm drinking some green tea and hoping that it, along with going to bed early tonight, will help counteract the oncoming cold I'm getting. Blasted sore throat and swollen glands! I am exhausted right now, but I can't stop any time soon.

Finally, I've become slightly overwhelmed by the number of books that I'm currently in the process of reading. I don't think I've ever had this many books on the go before, and I hope that my tendency to start things and not finish them will not be the death of me reading-wise.

Here's the list:
-This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald (started in spring 2007!)
-Surprised by Hope by N.T. Wright
-One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
-Intimacy by Henri Nouwen (finished)
-The Complete Works of Flannery O'Connor
-Drawn Into the Mystery of Jesus Through the Gospel of John by Jean Vanier
-Watchmen by Alan Moore (finished)

I really need to finish something for the sake of accomplishment that will hopefully help me finish the rest. Will update with progress.

No comments: